About the Position
|Job Title :
|National Coach (Poomsae including Freestyle Poomsae)
|Singapore Taekwondo Federation (STF)
|Reporting to :
|Chief Executive Officer
|STF Office @ 35 Joo Chiat Place, Singapore 427759
|Closing Date :
|28 January 2024
What is the role about?
You will be primarily responsible to formulate, develop and execute the sport pathway and capabilities development of Poomsae & Freestyle Poomsae in Singapore in the Singapore Taekwondo Federation’s (STF) Multi-Year Sports Plan (MYSP) and High-Performance Plan. It is more than training national athletes/national development squad for podium success. It also includes engaging the local coaches/clubs in their promotion and development of Poomsae through regular and structured seminars/workshops. This is with the aim to establish strong foundation in Poomsae include Freestyle Poomsae towards preparation for 2029 SEA Games to be held in Singapore. As a collaborative leader you will also play a critical role as a role model to our National Athletes and in building sustainable relationships with key stakeholders.
Under the supervision of STF’s High Performance Committee and working closely with the Secretariat, the National Coach (Poomsae including Freestyle Poomsae) will be responsible in the following areas:
1. To formulate, develop and implement short term (6-month to 2 years plan, 2024 to 2025), medium term (3 to 4 years plan, 2024 to 2027, 2 SEA Games and 1 Asian Games cycles) and long term plans (6 years to 8 years plan and beyond, 2024 to 2030 to being with) for the sport pathway and capabilities development of the National Taekwondo athletes in Singapore as well as the coaches to establish strong foundation in Poomsae and Freestyle Poomsae in preparation for SEA Games 2029
2. To submit to High Performance Committee training plans both local and overseas, sports pathway and capabilities development plans.
3. To prepare and submit the Yearly Planning Instrument (YPI) for three categories namely cadet, junior and senior.
4. To developed customised individual plans for selected number of athletes who have been earmarked for Major Games.
5. To train the national athletes/national development squad in preparation for the various competitions, which includes but is not limited to the Major Games, National Championships, local and overseas competitions.
6. To train national athletes to achieve podium success at major games such as Asian Championship and World Championship.
7. To have at least three national athletes exclude team; while team is considered as one athlete, qualified and selected to compete in Poomsae events in the next edition of 2025 SEA Games.
8. To achieve either one Gold or two Silvers medals at 2025 SEA Games.
9. To have at least two national athletes qualified and selected to compete in 2026 Asian Games and the target is to be in the top 8th position.
10. To coach the team during overseas trainings and competitions and assist with Kyorugi when required.
11. To scout/identify cadets and Juniors/Seniors potential Poomsae athletes and be endorsed by High Performance Committee.
12. To ensure that appropriate supervision, directly or indirectly, is provided to all athletes during trainings to ensure the athletes’ safety.
13. To engage local coaches/clubs and conduct coaching seminars/workshops/courses/clinics annually.
14. To mentor local coaches who are identified and recommended by High Performance Committee/the Board with the purposes as assistant national trainer(s)/coach(es) during the contract period.
1. To partner Technical Committee and relevant Chairs to advance the knowledge of local Coaches through the Coaching Development Programmes (CDP)
2. To work with SportSG to develop and carry out the sport science and evidence-based development initiatives related to the Athletes Development Programmes and CDP.
3. To work with stakeholders such as National Youth Sport Institute and Singapore Sport Institute to develop and implement methods for testing athletes’ potential and current athletes’ performance using sport science and technology.
• Effective time management, organisational, and leadership skills
• Strong work ethic and resiliency
• Clear written and oral communication skills
• English-speaking preferred
• Strong computer skills including data analytics
• Desire to continue improving and contributing
• Applicant must be able to travel and will spend approximately 25% of their work time on the road
• Degree with a major in sport science, physical education, sports management/administration or similar qualification in Taekwondo
• World Taekwondo International Coach Certification Level 1
• Proven outstanding Freestyle Poomsae technical skills and ability to continue to demonstrate and teach these technical skills e.g. 720/900 degree spinning kick or aerial 3 to 4 consecutive kicks; tumbling skills development
• Experience in choreography of new creative Freestyle Poomsae with music
• Asian Games medalist or equivalent desired
• Proven records of athletes’ achievement at regional/international championships and major Games preferred
• Minimum 3 years of international coaching experience desired
Interested applicants may send their application to firstname.lastname@example.org Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
This job may require enhanced background check and written reference(s) in relation to safeguarding/suitability to work with children, as well as continual professional development. This job description is intended as an outline of area of responsibilities and not to be regarded as exhaustive or exclusive. The role may include other duties as from time to time which may be required by STF, SportSG and SNOC. In addition, the role shall be reviewed and updated for its currency as to serve the evolving needs of the organisation.