The STF is the Singapore national governing body for Taekwondo. Apart for being responsible for the preparation and performance of Singapore’s elite taekwondo athletes at international championships, striving towards achieving sporting excellence, the STF seeks to expand its membership and provide its members with better quality activities and services. The STF aims to recruit and retain talented individuals through fair and effective recruitment and selection procedures. Applications are welcome from all, regardless of race, language, class or creed. Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the members of STF is a priority and an integral part of the recruitment process.
About the Position:
Job Title : National Trainer, Kyorugi
Reporting to : President/STF Board/STF High Performance Standing
Locations : STF Office @ 35 Joo Chiat Place, Singapore 427759
National Training Center @ 80 Lorong Limau, #04-191, Singapore 320080 OCBC Arena, Singapore Sports Hub, 5 Stadium Dr, Singapore 397631
Salary : $4,000 to $5,000 per month
Closing Date : 8 Sep 2022
This job may require an enhanced background check and written reference(s) in relation to safeguarding/suitability to work with children, as well as continual professional development.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
You will be primarily responsible for developing and training the National Kyorugi Team (including the Youth Team) in preparation for podium success as well as executing the Singapore Taekwondo Federation’s (STF) Multi-Year Sports Plan (MYSP) and High-Performance Plan. As a collaborative leader, you will also play a critical role as a role model to our National Athletes and in building sustainable relationships with key stakeholders.
SUMMARY OF ROLES
Under the supervision of STF’s High Performance Standing Committee, the National Trainer, Kyorugi, will work in the following areas:
- To train the National Kyorugi Team (including the Youth Team) in preparation for various competitions, which include, but is not limited to the Major Games, National Championships, local and overseas competitions.
- To help prepare, formulate and implement short, medium and long-term plans for the development of the National Taekwondo athletes in Singapore.
- To work with the Coaching Committee and/or High-Performance Committee in the development of training plans.
- Able to double up as a training or sparring partner with athletes during training.
- To train the National Kyorugi Team during overseas training and competitions, and assist with the Poomsae team (if required).
- To scout and identify talented athletes for the National Squad (Kyorugi).
- Ensure that appropriate supervision, directly or indirectly, is provided to all athletes during Kyorugi training sessions.
- To conduct coaching courses and clinics.
- To ensure the safety of participants and the proper use and safe-keeping of all training equipment, tidiness of the National Training Centre or any other athlete training venue.
- To mentor local coaches and national athletes.
- To advance the knowledge of local coaches in cooperation with the Technical Standing Committee and through the Coaching Development Program (CDP)
- To work with SportSG to develop and carry out the sport science-based development initiatives related to the Athlete Development Program and CDP.
- To work with stakeholders such as the National Youth Sport Institute and the Singapore Sport Institute, to develop and implement methods for testing athletes’ potential and performance using sport science and technology.
Transfer of Expertise
- To provide comprehensive apprenticeship training for a core group of STF-identified coaches.
- To provide mentorship and training to prepare identified local coaching personnel to possibly assume the incumbent’s role in future.
The role will be reviewed regularly and may include other duties, from time to time, required by the STF, Sport SG and SNOC. This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline of the activities related to the position and may be amended as the needs of the organisation change.
- Effective time management, organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong work ethics.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Desire to continue learning and growing as an instructor
- The applicant must be able to travel and will spend approximately 25% of their work time on the road.
- Bachelor Degree with a major in Sports Administration, Sports Science, Physical Education, Taekwondo or equivalent experience.
- WT International Coach Certification level 1 preferred
- SEA Games gold, Asian Games medal or equivalent preferred
- 2 to 3 years of international coaching experience desired
- Proven superior Kyorugi technical skills.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of technical and tactical Kyorugi knowledge and experience in coaching at G2 and above games as well as athlete preparation for major games.